In the 1940’s, Harry Jaffe, an Alabaman, introduced Toastmasters to Georgia. In December 1944, the first club was chartered. It is club # 289, the Henry W. Grady Club, known today as the The Alexander Stephens club is thought to be the second Georgia Club. Other clubs chartered in the 40’s are Augusta #326 (July, 1945) and Savannah #705 (July, 1949).
In 1966, John Lister became the editor of the first District Newsletter The Rebel Rouser (name changed to The Georgia Gavel in later years). In 1969, the first Toastmaster of the Year award was presented to P. Greg McCarthy, a member of the Georgia – Carolina club #2523. The District had three Divisions (Northern, Southern and Eastern).
In the District year 1968–69, the first Communication award for a non-Toastmaster was presented to Dr. Noah Langdale, President of Georgia State University in Atlanta.
District 44 Toastmasters was established in 2013 after the reformation of District 14. The District supports Toastmasters clubs West of Interstate 85 in Georgia USA.